Fire & Rescue Service
Message Type Icon

Carbon Monoxide Safety

If you have a carbon fuelled appliance (like a boiler, fire, heater or flue) in any room, you must also have a carbon monoxide detector in that room.  Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, coal, wood, oil, or smokeless fuels are burned without enough oxygen. 



Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. You cannot see, smell, or taste the gas. This means you could be exposed to it without even realising it.   Please ensure you are familiar with the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:



Further information on carbon monoxide can be found on our website (link below) or on the attached Chimney Safety, Stoves and Carbon Monoxide leaflet:



For more information on Home Fire Safety, including free Home Fire Safety Visits, please visit:



Reply to this message

Message Sent By
Jane Gibson
(Scottish Fire & Rescue Service, Community Firefighter, Dumfries & Galloway)

Neighbourhood Alert Cyber Essentials